Does your family have special foods?

In our Global Read Aloud book The Fourteenth Goldfish Melvin, Allie’s grandpa, misses his beloved wife and has nostalgic feelings for the past. He says new stuff is not as good as he remembers the old stuff. He says that cooking is science, so he cooks Coq au Vin, a chicken dish from France, from his wife’s recipe. This comforts him and brings back fond memories. Does your family have special foods that do the same thing? What are they? When are they eaten? What are your special memories about food?

11 thoughts on “Does your family have special foods?

1. Dear Mrs. Onyskiws class,
    A food that reminds me of my family is chili and spagetti. Basically only my family knows that recipie for this meal. Its noodles with brown beans
    and hot dogs and Chili Man Chili. Its delicious!

2. Dear Mrs.Onyskiws Class,
    I have a favorite family food on special days. We have my mom’s famous garden garlic sauce, spagetti and chicken. It is so good!

3. Dear Mrs. Onyskiw’s class,

My grandma makes delicious guacamole that makes me feel good like one time I got a little bit of trouble and my grandma brought over some guac and it changed my whole mood. I got ridiculously happy!

From,
    Joey

4. Dear Mrs.Onyskiws ‘class
    We have a favorite family food called chicken stuffing. We only eat it on my birthday. You make it by baking chicken and stuffing together in the oven.

5. Dear Mrs. Onyskiw’s class,

My dad’s family recipe, cheesey potatoes, brings back memories from Thanksgiving. It reminds me of spending time with most of my family (my family is really big).

From,
    Dominic

6. Dear Mrs.Onyskiws class , I would not like to live forever because then I would have to go to a lot of funerals. Your friend, Ariana

7. Dear Mrs. Onyskiws’s Class,
    Yes I have a special food. It is plantains. They’re like rotting bananas. My family has it when we are in Costa Rico. It reminds me of Costa Rico in the morning.